Understanding the right ingredients is all important! A columnist once wrote in her “hints” column that the best way to cook a moist turkey was to “put a cup of water in the cavity of the turkey, cover with tin foil and bake.” A reader wrote back to complain. “The turkey came out fine, but the plastic cup in the turkey melted!”
Directions must be specific. What are God’s specific directions for developing a thankful heart? What are the ingredients that result in thanksgiving? As we approach the thanksgiving season, here is your thanksgiving recipe.
When we are thankful, worries cease. In the book of Philippians we learn five specific ingredients of thankfulness.
- 1.The Ingredient of Recollection: We often forget how good God has been to us and what He has done for us.
- 2.The Ingredient of Intercession: Take time this thanksgiving to pray for those who are in need.
- 3.The Ingredient of Participation: Find a place or person where you can help bring joy into someone’s life.
- 4.The Ingredient of Anticipation: Look forward to what God has for you and embrace His promises for your life.
- 5.The Ingredient of Affection: Show your love and respect to those most important to you this season.
“We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other.” (2 Thessalonians 1:3 NKJV)
Two men looked through bars. One saw mud; the other saw stars. Even in prison, we can experience thanksgiving!
“…let there be thanksgiving.” (Ephesians 5:4 ESV)